VISTA Position Opportunities
Are you interested in reducing poverty in your community? The AmeriCorps VISTA program is seeking motivated host sites and individuals to participate in a year of service with the United Way of Thurston County! We are recruiting AmeriCorps VISTAs to serve in the areas of education, healthy futures, economic opportunity, and veterans and military families. See below for more information!
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a branch of national service specifically dedicated to eliminating poverty in our communities. AmeriCorps VISTA members bring their passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. An AmeriCorps VISTA member serves as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions.
The United Way of Thurston County AmeriCorps VISTA team is comprised of 20 VISTA members, who serve at organizations in Pierce, Thurston, Grays Harbor, and Clallam County. The AmeriCorps VISTA team is supported by a VISTA Leader, a former AmeriCorps VISTA who is based out of the United Way of Thurston County office. The United Way of Thurston County VISTA team participates in monthly team meetings, professional development training, days of service, and more.
Who is eligible to be an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
Individuals 18 years or older can be an AmeriCorps VISTA
- Members must be U.S. citizens or national, legal permanent residents of the United States.
- You must be able to serve full-time for one year
- You must attend an AmeriCorps Pre-Service Orientation to be able to serve
Current AmeriCorps VISTA Projects
- Children's Feeding Programs Co-Coordinator VISTA at St. Leo Food Connection
- Communications Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention
- Community-Based Research Liaison VISTA at Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
- Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention
- Family Services Development Associate VISTA at Child Care Action Council
- Hunger-Free Pierce County VISTA at United Way of Pierce County
- Literacy & Learning Outreach & Engagement Coordinator VISTA at South Sound Reading Foundation
- Medical Reserve Corps Volunteer & Program Coordinator VISTA at Pierce County Medical Reserve Corps
- Opioid-Focused Clinic Coordination VISTA at Capital Recovery Center
- Shared Housing Program Outreach Associate VISTA at Senior Services for the South Sound
- Systems Developer VISTA at SideWalk
- Training Support Associate VISTA at Kokua
- Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator VISTA at Lacey Veterans Services Hub
- Volunteer Systems Coordinator VISTA at TOGETHER!
Current Opportunities - Apply Now!
- 253 Impact Coordinator VISTA at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Puget Sound: Make a difference for kids facing tough challenges! Big Brothers Big Sisters is seeking a dynamic VISTA to ensure all Pierce County youth have a mentor who can help them reach their full potential. Click here to apply!
- Community Based Research Liaison VISTA at Tacoma Pierce County Health Department: The 253 Making Connections Initiative focuses on improving the mental health and wellbeing of men and boys of color and LGBTQIA2+ people of color in Tacoma Pierce County. Click here to apply!
- Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA at Mountain View Community Center: Join Mountain View Community Center in engaging the community to alleviate isolation and poverty through programs dedicated to building successful kids, hopeful families, and active seniors.Click here to apply!
- Community Outreach VISTA at Emergency Food Network: Join Emergency Food Network's team! Coordinate our volunteer program outreach and help provide our neighbors in need with a consistent, diverse, and nutritious food supply so that no person goes hungry. Click here to apply!
- Community Partnership Developer VISTA at Tacoma Community House: Reach out to vulnerable populations in Pierce County with vital programs in English Language Classes or Employment services. Click here to apply!
- Family Services Development Associate VISTA at Child Care Aware Olympic Peninsula Family Services: Want to help provide equitable access to early learning resources that help prepare children for success in school and life? Make a difference as a VISTA at Child Care Action Council! Click here to apply!
- Foundational Community Supports VISTA at Serenity House of Clallam County: Ready to change lives in a supportive environment? Serenity House is seeking a motivated self-starter to develop our new Foundational Community Supports housing and employment case management program. Click here to apply!
- Friend and Fund Development Associate VISTA at Thurston County Volunteer Legal Services: Increase access to civil legal aid for low income individuals and families by helping Thurston County Volunteer Legal Services engage volunteers and donors! Click here to apply!
- Literacy and Learning Outreach and Engagement VISTA at South Sound Reading Foundation: Promote literacy and create potential by helping the Reading Foundation formalize its reading enrichment programs, and build its volunteer base to better serve area low-income children and youth. Click here to apply!
- Mobile Food Bank and Home Delivery Coordinator VISTA at Making a Difference Foundation: Be a part of Making a Difference Foundation's mission to provide basic human needs (food, housing, encouragement, and opportunity) and make a difference in the lives of others. Click here to apply!
- Program and Communications Coordinator VISTA at Pierce County Medical Reserve Corps: Are you ready? Support our medical volunteer emergency preparedness and response team in building volunteer capabilities to serve our vulnerable communities in Pierce County! Click here to apply!
- Resource Development Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention: Work to end exploitation with Washington Trafficking Prevention as we raise awareness and implement programs to prevent human trafficking in our communities. Click here to apply!
- Student Support Community Liaison VISTA at Educational Service District 113: The Regional Alliance for Youth (RALLY) coalition at ESD113 seeks to build regional capacity and partnerships to increase access, equity, and support for underserved youth grades pre-K-16. Click here to apply!
- Two-Generation Program Community Outreach VISTA at United Way of Pierce County: Help build a new project in the Franklin Pierce School District to serve students and their families by focusing on projects and strategies that break down barriers to self-sufficiency. Click here to apply!
- Youth Engagement Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention: Washington Trafficking Prevention empowers youth and communities to fight human trafficking. Combine passion for working with youth with project management and leadership skills to help end exploitation! Click here to apply!
More AmeriCorps VISTA opportunities coming soon at organizations like South Sound YMCA, St. Leo Food Connection, Quixote Communities, and YMCA of Grays Harbor!
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $479.08-$542.22 (pre-tax)
- End-of-Service Award: choice of $6,095 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or approximately $1,800 cash stipend
- Childcare assistance
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payment or deferment on qualified student loans
- Transportation and Relocation Assistance
- Comprehensive leave benefit
- High-quality training, orientation, and professional development
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) status upon completion of service
- Unique team experience as part of United Way and AmeriCorps networks
Impact of the Our AmeriCorps VISTA Team
Since the start of their term of service, our AmeriCorps VISTA team has made the following impact in our community:
What can an AmeriCorps VISTA do?
AmeriCorps VISTA members live and serve in both urban and rural regions, creating and expanding programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Each VISTA member makes a full-time year-long commitment to serve at a specific nonprofit or public agency. VISTAs are generally not providing direct services, such as building homes or tutoring children, rather they focus their efforts on building the organizational, administrative and financial capacity of organizations that otherwise assist low-income communities. VISTA service is comprised of four key components
- Capacity Building
- Poverty Alleviation
- Community Empowerment
Our members represent a diverse array of experiences from veterans, to parents, to recent graduates, to local community members from all over the country! We are excited to grow the team into more areas of southwestern Washington and expand our opportunities for training and professional development while serving our community.
Who is eligible to be a host site for an AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA operates on a 3-year program cycle. First-year VISTAs establish the programmatic needs and lay a foundation, the second year VISTA carries out the planning and the third year ensures the stability of the program to run independently of VISTA service members. This model allows organizations to make an investment in VISTA program development and the VISTAs ensure that the program can run independently of VISTA member service by recruiting volunteers or creating standard operating procedures to ensure long-term sustainability.
Does your organization have a project with the ultimate goal of eliminating poverty in our community that you currently lack the staffing or funding to implement? Do you work in one of VISTA's key focus areas of veterans and military families, economic opportunity, healthy futures, or education?
If you are a non-profit, an educational institution/educational service district or a local, state or tribal government in Thurston, Pierce, Lewis, Mason, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, or Clallam County you may be eligible to host a VISTA with the United Way of Thurston County VISTA team!
Applications to be a host site for 2020-2021 VISTA members is due January 31, 2019. Host site application rubric available upon request.
For all VISTA questions, please email Lindsay Fujimoto, Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, at 360-943-2773 ext 122