VISTA Position Opportunities
Are you interested in reducing poverty in your community? The AmeriCorps VISTA program is seeking motivated host sites and individuals to join the national service movement in partnership with the United Way of Thurston County! We are recruiting AmeriCorps VISTAs to serve in the areas of education, healthy futures, economic opportunity, and veterans and military families.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members go where the need is greatest: to communities facing poverty, inequity, and unemployment. VISTA members serve in a professional setting building partnerships, writing grants, and organizing volunteers. Above all, VISTA members are catalysts for change, working to advance local solutions
The United Way of Thurston County AmeriCorps VISTA team serves at organizations in Pierce, Thurston, Grays Harbor, Mason, Lewis, Jefferson, and/or Clallam County. The AmeriCorps VISTA team is supported by a VISTA Leader, who is based out of the United Way of Thurston County office. The United Way of Thurston County VISTA team participates in monthly team meetings, professional development training, days of service, and more.
Who is eligible to be an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
Individuals must be 18 years or older to serve as an AmeriCorps VISTA.
- Standard VISTA members must be able to commit to serving full-time for the one year service term
- Summer Associate VISTA members must be able to commit to serving full-time for the 8/9/10-week service term
Current AmeriCorps VISTA Projects
- 253 Impact Coordinator VISTA at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Puget Sound
- Achievement Gap Coordinator VISTA at South Sound YMCA
- Children's Feeding Programs Coordinator VISTA at St. Leo Food Connection
- Community-Based Research Liaison VISTA at Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
- Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA at Mountain View Community Center
- Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA at Quixote Communities
- Community Outreach Coordinator VISTA at Emergency Food Network
- Emergency Preparedness and Response Program VISTA at Thurston County Public Health and Social Services
- Family Services Development Associate VISTA at Child Care Action Council
- Food Drive & Volunteer Outreach Coordinator VISTA at Nourish Pierce County
- Literacy and Learning Outreach and Engagement VISTA at South Sound Reading Foundation
- Medical Reserve Corps Volunteer & Program Coordinator VISTA at Pierce County Medical Reserve Corps
- Resource Development Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention
- Shared Housing Program Outreach Associate VISTA at Senior Services for the South Sound
- Student Support Community Liaison at Educational Service District 113
- Two-Generation Project Community Outreach VISTA at United Way of Pierce County
- Youth Engagement Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention
Current Opportunities - Apply Now!
- United Way of Thurston County VISTA Leader (Olympia, WA) - Support the success of United Way of Thurston County's VISTA members throughout their year of service and develop systems and processes to make the VISTA program more efficient and effective. Candidates must have previously completed a term of service with AmeriCorps or Peace Corps. Benefits differ from standard VISTA members. Contact United Way of Thurston County to apply.
Standard VISTA and Summer Associate VISTA opportunities for the 2020-2021 cohort will be posted in spring 2020. Please check back then!
Contact Lindsay Fujimoto, Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, at 360-943-2773 x122 for more information.
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $479.08-$542.22 (pre-tax)
- End-of-Service Award: choice of $6,195 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or approximately $1,800 cash stipend ($1,289 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or $276-345 cash stipend for Summer Associate VISTAs)
- Healthcare for Standard VISTAs
- Childcare assistance if eligible for Standard VISTAs
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payment or deferment on qualified student loans for Standard VISTAs
- Service-Related Transportation
- Relocation Assistance for Standard VISTAs
- Comprehensive leave benefit for Standard VISTAs
- High-quality training, orientation, and professional development
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) status for one year upon completion of service for Standard VISTAs
- Unique team experience as part of United Way and AmeriCorps networks
Impact of our AmeriCorps VISTA Team
Since the start of their term of service, our AmeriCorps VISTA team has made the following impact in our community:
Stories of Service
"Never in a million years did I ever think that I would be working with website and program development like I am doing right now - completely revamping the food drive portion of our website, incorporating a new food drive tracking system, and fundraising platform to ensure sustainability in the food drive program. It is super exciting and I have really surprised myself. It has given me the professional confidence boost I needed and I just hope that I can continue to build on these new skills." - Sunny Cada, Food Drive & Volunteer Outreach Coordinator VISTA at Nourish Pierce County
"This past month in our VISTA service we helped Washington Trafficking Prevention put on its second annual fundraiser and organizational relaunch event. Before this fundraiser, I had never planned an event anywhere near this size and level of impact. Throughout the planning of this event I worked on everything from designing flyers and social media graphics, drafting and sending out email campaigns to supporters, booking a venue, filming and editing a promotional video, and securing in-kind donations from local community partners. My fellow VISTA Isiah played a critical role in this event as well by finding and on-boarding volunteers to help run the event. Thanks to our entire team, the night ended up being a huge success. In addition to the money we raised, and perhaps equally important, was the way we were able to bring our supporters together for a night of raising awareness and compelling care for such an important cause. Overall being a part of planning and overseeing this event was a fantastic learning experience for both Isiah and myself." - Audrey Widner, Resource Development Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention (Isiah Cocroft is the Youth Engagement Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention)
What can an AmeriCorps VISTA do?
AmeriCorps VISTA members live and serve in both urban and rural regions, creating and expanding programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Each VISTA member makes a commitment to serve full-time at a specific nonprofit, public agency, or tribal government. VISTAs do not provide direct services, such as building homes or tutoring children. Rather, they focus their efforts on building the organizational, administrative and financial capacity of organizations that serve low-income communities. VISTA service is comprised of four core principles:
- Capacity Building
- Poverty Alleviation
- Community Empowerment
Our members represent a diverse array of experiences from veterans, to parents, to recent graduates, to local community members, to members from all over the country! We are excited to grow the number of counties we serve.
Who is eligible to be a host site for an AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA operates on a 3-year program cycle. First-year VISTAs establish the programmatic needs and lay a foundation, the second year VISTA carries out the planning and the third year ensures the stability of the program to run independently of VISTA service members. This model allows organizations to make an investment in VISTA program development and the VISTAs ensure that the program can run independently of VISTA member service by recruiting volunteers or creating standard operating procedures to ensure long-term sustainability.
Does your organization have a project with the ultimate goal of eliminating poverty in our community that you currently lack the staffing or funding to implement? Do you work in one of VISTA's key focus areas of veterans and military families, economic opportunity, healthy futures, or education?
If you are a non-profit, an educational institution/educational service district or a local, state or tribal government in Thurston, Pierce, Lewis, Mason, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, or Clallam County you may be eligible to host a VISTA with the United Way of Thurston County VISTA team!
Applications to be a host site for 2020-2021 VISTA members are due January 31, 2020.
Follow us on social media!
UWTC VISTA Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/VISTAthurstoncounty/
UWTC VISTA Alumni Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thurstoncountyvista
For all VISTA questions, please contact Lindsay Fujimoto, Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, at 360-943-2773 ext 122