VISTA Position Opportunities
Are you interested in reducing poverty in your community? The AmeriCorps VISTA program is seeking motivated host sites and individuals to participate in a year of service with the United Way of Thurston County! We are recruiting for 20 AmeriCorps VISTAs to serve in the areas of healthy futures, economic opportunity, veterans and military families, and education for the 2018 – 2019 Service Year. See below for more information!
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a branch of national service specifically dedicated to eliminating poverty in our communities. AmeriCorps VISTA members bring their passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. An AmeriCorps VISTA member serves as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions.
The United Way of Thurston County AmeriCorps VISTA team is comprised of 20 VISTA members, who serve at organizations in Pierce and Thurston County. The AmeriCorps VISTA team is supported by a VISTA Leader, a former AmeriCorps VISTA who is based out of the United Way of Thurston County office. The United Way of Thurston County VISTA team participates in monthly team meetings, professional development training, days of service, and more.
Who is eligible to be an AmeriCorps VISTA member?
Individuals 18 years or older can be an AmeriCorps VISTA
- Members must be U.S. citizens or national, legal permanent residents of the United States.
- You must be able to serve full-time for one year
- You must attend an AmeriCorps Pre-Service Orientation to be able to serve
Current AmeriCorps VISTA Projects
- Children's Feeding Programs Co-Coordinator VISTA at St. Leo Food Connection
- Communications Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention
- Community-Based Research Liaison VISTA at Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
- Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA at Washington Trafficking Prevention
- Community Garden Development VISTA at Pierce Conservation District
- Family Services Development Associate VISTA at Child Care Action Council
- Family Support Specialist VISTA at Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
- Hunger-Free Pierce County VISTA at United Way of Pierce County
- Literacy & Learning Outreach & Engagement Coordinator VISTA at South Sound Reading Foundation
- Medical Reserve Corps Volunteer & Program Coordinator VISTA at Pierce County Medical Reserve Corps
- Opioid-Focused Clinic Coordination VISTA at Capital Recovery Center
- Outreach Coordinator VISTA at Thurston Asset Building Coalition
- Shared Housing Program Outreach Associate VISTA at Senior Services for the South Sound
- Systems Developer VISTA at SideWalk
- Training Support Associate VISTA at Kokua
- Volunteer Coordinator VISTA at The Rescue Mission
- Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator VISTA at Lacey Veterans Services Hub
- Volunteer Systems Coordinator VISTA at TOGETHER!
- VISTA Leader: We are seeking an engaging, team-oriented and self-motivated VISTA Leader to further positive social change and fight poverty in supporting UWTC's VISTA program and its 20 VISTA members. Click here to apply!
- Olympia Bupe Clinic Opioid Summer Associate VISTA: Identify and address the barriers to treatment youth and young adults with opioid use disorder face. Improve their access to care and alleviate poverty at Capital Recovery Center's Olympia Bupe Clinic. Click here to apply!
- Summer Resource Specialist Summer Associate VISTA: Unlike school, the need for food, belonging & hygiene is year-round. You can increase the health & wellbeing of students by connecting families to resources at TOGETHER!'s Summer Resource Centers. Click here to apply!
More AmeriCorps VISTA opportunities coming soon!
Benefits and Compensation
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $472.22 (pre-tax)
- End-of-Service Award: choice of $6,095 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or approximately $3,000 cash stipend
- Childcare assistance
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payment or deferment on qualified student loans
- Transportation and Relocation Assistance
- Comprehensive leave benefit
- High-quality training, orientation, and professional development
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) status upon completion of service
- Unique team experience as part of United Way and AmeriCorps networks
What can an AmeriCorps VISTA do?
AmeriCorps VISTA members live and serve in both urban and rural regions, creating and expanding programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Each VISTA member makes a full-time year-long commitment to serve at a specific nonprofit or public agency. VISTAs are generally not providing direct services, such as building homes or tutoring children, rather they focus their efforts on building the organizational, administrative and financial capacity of organizations that otherwise assist low-income communities. VISTA service is comprised of four key components
- Capacity Building
- Poverty Alleviation
- Community Empowerment
Our members represent a diverse array of experiences from veterans, to parents, to recent graduates, to local community members from all over the country! We are excited to grow the team into more areas of southwestern Washington and expand our opportunities for training and professional development while serving our community.
Who is eligible to be a host site for an AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA operates on a 3-year program cycle. First-year VISTAs establish the programmatic needs and lay a foundation, the second year VISTA carries out the planning and the third year ensures the stability of the program to run independently of VISTA service members. This model allows organizations to make an investment in VISTA program development and the VISTAs ensure that the program can run independently of VISTA member service by recruiting volunteers or creating standard operating procedures to ensure long-term sustainability.
Does your organization have a project with the ultimate goal of eliminating poverty in our community that you currently lack the staffing or funding to implement? Do you work in one of VISTA's key focus areas of veterans and military families, economic opportunity, healthy futures, or education?
If you are a non-profit, an educational institution/educational service district or a local, state or tribal government in Thurston, Pierce, Lewis, Mason, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, or Clallam County you may be eligible to host a VISTA with the United Way of Thurston County VISTA team!
Applications to be a host site for 2019-2020 VISTA members is due February 5, 2019. Host site application rubric available upon request.
For all VISTA questions, please email Lindsay Fujimoto, Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com