Free federal income tax preparation services by AARP Tax-Aide IRS-certified volunteers begin January 31, 2019, at eight locations in Thurston County.
While Tax-Aide makes a special effort to serve low- and moderate-income households, especially those 50 years or older, it also welcomes taxpayers of all ages and income levels. AARP membership is not required.
The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program is the nation’s largest, free volunteer tax program operated in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). In Thurston County last year, 70 trained and IRS certified Tax-Aide volunteers e-filed 2,500 returns; helping local taxpayers claim over $300,000 in Earned Income Tax Credits and $2.5 million in total refunds.
Thurston County Tax-Aide has a new website which can be found at https://taxaidewa20.org where taxpayers can learn more about its free tax preparation and e-filing services, including its site locations and hours, what documents to bring, and limitations on the types of returns Tax-Aide can prepare. While visiting its website, taxpayers can subscribe to a free annual newsletter and other time-sensitive email about Tax-Aide services, including when they will start accepting appointment or open their walk-in tax preparation sites.
Walk-in tax preparation sites are:
- Lacey Timberland Library – Thursdays and Saturdays
- Virgil S. Clarkson Lacey Senior Center – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Panorama Chalet Apartments – Wednesdays and Fridays
- Olympia Community Center – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Tumwater Timberland Library – Mondays and Wednesdays
Appointment sites are:
- McLane Black Lake Fire Department – Monday evenings, schedule an appointment online or call (360) 670-0286
- Yelm Timberland Library – Tuesdays, stop by the Yelm Library Reference Desk during normal Library hours, schedule online, or call (360) 559-1349
- Rochester Organization of Families – limited Wednesdays, call 360-273-6375 or schedule online.
Taxpayers can schedule their own appointments online by visiting the Thurston County Tax-Aide website at https://taxaidewa20.org. We will start accepting appointments for the tax season beginning January 15, 2020. Appointment sites accept walk-ins if an appointment slot is available.
Those seeking assistance with their 2019 tax returns must show government issued photo ID (driver’s license) for the taxpayer (and spouse, if married filing jointly) and Social Security cards or ITINs for taxpayers and dependents. Bring all income report forms such as W-2s, interest and dividend, miscellaneous, income and all other tax related information as well as your prior year’s tax return.